Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Day 447, A Book You've Read That Changed Your View on Something

This year I have been reading a book called, The Speed of Trust, by Stephen M. R. Covey.
This book has led me through a process of self-reflection and soul-searching that has been, at times, enlightening, challenging, embarrassing, and down-right aggravating. I have had to admit to some personal character traits that are not very pretty. At the same time, this book has awakened me to a much richer understanding of how to build trust both in my personal and professional relationships. I discovered, after taking a self-assessment in the beginning of the book on the four cores of integrity, that I am very strong in the cores that focus on ability. People tend to trust that I am capable and that I can produce results. But, when it comes to character, I am lacking. This is true of my own personal integrity with myself and then with others. The question that hit me the hardest, was this, "If asked, would the people you work with say you have THEIR best interests at heart, or your own?" Sigh~~!! When I was in the classroom, it was easy.... I always had my students' best interest at heart.... but this year, working with adults, it became blatantly obvious to me that I was not putting the needs and wants of others above my own. So throughout the year, I have been working on this very critical character flaw. Some days I do well, other days I need to remind myself to get out of Mindyland and take a look at the people around me. Somedays I revert back to what is comfortable. It's frustrating when I recognize that.

Without a doubt, this book as been the catalyst for significant growth in my ability to develop trust-based relationships with the people I work with..... I can see that I still have a long way to go... but at least I am on the right path.

Thank you, Mr. Covey :-)

No comments: