Saturday, April 16, 2011

Day 449, Your Views on Religion

I believe I have already posted this..... seems like I had a rant shortly after Christmas..... So I think rather than re-invent the wheel this late in the evening,,,, I shall thumb back through my posts and find what I wrote back then.....Here you go:

"Nothing like a friendly debate over the existence of God to get the blood pumping and the emotions rising. Well,,, I cannot say debate, because in my case, it is usually more like a trial. I'm the defendant, answering to the prosecuting attorneys. That's okay. I have God as my judge; I can live with that.


The debate is not God vs. science. That's absurd. The two are not mutually exclusive. A true believer is never threatened by advancements in science...rather, they welcome them. They know that many advancements in science are the direct result of God-given inspiration. No. The debate is simply on whether or not there is a God. Scientific proof is out of the debate. Science will never prove there is no God. Neither will it prove there is. That is not, nor ever was, the role of science in our Universe. Science is about questions. Faith is about answers. The two make marvelous companions.

My belief in God is not based on faith alone. It is also based on evidence. It is the evidence of things not seen which are true. And it has surrounded me throughout my entire life. In fact, the evidence of God's role in my life is so blatantly transparent, that to deny it would require a total disregard and lack of respect for the truth.

I realize that what I am about to say may offend some people. I sincerely apologize for that in advance. But this is my blog, so I don't need permission to speak from my heart.

Try as I might, I have a low tolerance for people who think they are doing me a favor by giving me permission to believe what I want to believe. Oh. Thank you. I was worried about that. As if!!

Here's the deal....You don't want to believe in God, that's your choice. We all have God-given agency to choose for ourselves what we will and won't believe. I don't need anyone to "allow" me to believe what I want. So do not patronize me by setting yourself up as someone who is superior and therefore has the right to tell me it's okay for me to believe how I wish. Kiss my San Antonio rose buds!

Here's something I find quite interesting, and I see it all the time---usually followed by a raised eyebrow and a bitten tongue. Someone on Facebook, or in a mass text or e-mail, asks that everyone pray for their sick friend or relative in one breath, and then in another, say they do not believe in God. Really. Are you serious? If you are truly an atheist, then it's hypocritical to ask others to pray on your behalf. These same people won't give God the credit if their loved one gets better. But oh man.... if they take a turn for the worst, then they will claim it is evidence that God does not exist. Am I the only one who finds this hypocritical?

Truth is, deep down, everyone knows there is a God. Something bigger than this world. They may not define him. They may not understand him. They may not know him. They may not give him a name, face, or image. They may want nothing to do with him. But in their soul, they know that God is. Period. They choose NOT to believe. It is not the other way around. Believers do not choose to believe. They just believe. Simple. It's not a choice. The choice comes in choosing NOT to believe. Non-believers always want to lay the burden of proof on believers. That's a cop out. And guess what? You don't get to make the rules. This is the way it works. If you attack somebody's beliefs, the burden of proof lies with you, regardless of which side you represent.

So that's my rant for the night."

Taken from my earlier blog entitled, "The Great Debate."

No comments: