Sunday, August 23, 2009

Day 14, 351 to go

Two weeks... and they said it wouldn't last.

"But it is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation." Herman Melville.

I like this quote because it is sort of what I (and other authors,) experience in trying to get a book published. Publishers and Agents claim they are looking for something original, but more and more I see the same books published with different titles. I think of one rejection letter that I received from an agent that suggested I create more sexual tension between my main characters. Now I ask you, is that "original"? My main characters are not like others because they ARE original, as is their relationship. So, I would rather fail than change the dynamics of their relationship to satisfy an agent.

Loved having my daughter and her boyfriend this weekend. There is so much joy in motherhood.

2 comments:

The Rejection Queen said...

I know the feeling. One agent told me just by the query letter that my story needed more layers to support it's length...I was like pssssshhhfff...she doesn't even have a clue how many layers are in my story by reading a query letter. She did make me think though. I thought maybe me query letter wasn't explaining enough...so I re-wrote the query letter with a bit more detail. Funny thing is, the agent that asked to see my manuscript got the query letter before I re-wrote it. Go figure. As Billy Currington says in his song, "Must be doing something right."

Mindy Morgan said...

I hear that! I rewrote my query letter after receiving my first round of rejections because I figured my original query sucked, but then I received a request for the full manuscript from an agent who received the original query. I cannot explain the mysteries of this business... only to say if I had a third breast, cheated on my husband by sleeping with one of my students (eweeeeuuuu,)or could get myself notoriety by doing something shockingly grotesque, then my query letter wouldn't matter... my book would just sell itself. Ahhh, the side of writing that nobody sees. Can't wait 'till someone writes a bestseller about becoming a published author. It would be a comedy/tragedy for sure.