Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Day 65, HEY only 300 days to go!

Today I met with a group of 7th and 8th grade science teachers to facilitate a planning session for a concept learning sequence. At the beginning of the program, we whipped around the room and shared professional and personal updates. Listening to many of them share stories and frustrations about raising small children made me emotional. In less than four years, my youngest will be gone---and my nest will be empty. I'm not ready for that. I always thought "empty nest syndrome" was a joke; I was wrong. Wow,,, what I wouldn't give to go back in time! I've said it before---probably more than once---we should cherish every moment with our kids while we can. And we should figure out what is truly important,,,good grades? clean rooms? good friends? sports? I mean seriously, what is the big picture here? For me, it's cementing a forever relationship, rooted in memories and rich traditions that bind us together forever. It's about teaching them how to make the important decisions in life and how to believe in themselves when the whole world seems to be against them. Did I teach my children these things? What will my kids remember about their childhood?
What do you remember about yours?

You see? This is why we have grand kids! They are our second chance to get it right :)

Good night John Boy.

No comments: