Sunday, January 10, 2010

Day 153, Salt anyone?

Today was rather uneventful relatively speaking. That is a good thing. I was able to read this morning, and I read an amazing article by Jeffrey R. Holland called "The Best is Yet to Come." It talks about Lot's wife, and looking backwards. I felt very strongly that the words in this message were meant for me.
I am very familiar with the story of Lot's wife; when Lot and his family escaped the destruction of Sodom and Ghomora, they were told to flee and to not look behind them...but Lot's wife looked back, and as a consequence was turned to a pillar of salt. I always thought that was a bit of a harsh judgement ... after all, her sin did not seem so bad, but after studying Elder Holland's article, I gained several new insights, and I realize that too often, I, like Lot's wife, look back. Not that I look back with longing for what was, but that I get trapped into dwelling on past mistakes. That explains why I always put so much salt on my food ;)
It requires faith to continuously look toward the future and press forward. If you haven't read the article, you should. It is very inspiring and uplifting.

One of the study questions today was "How do you know there is a God?" What a great question. I pondered it for a long time, and wrote down my thoughts. Think about it..... How DO we KNOW? I submit that the evidence is all around us, but what makes one person choose to believe, and another refuse to believe? We all see the same evidence....but we see it through entirely different lenses. The question was  quite thought-provoking, and I was grateful for all the many experiences in my life that have led me to the knowledge that God not only DOES exist, but that He exists in the form of a Heavenly Father. I know that I am a child of God. If each of us could have our "spiritual DNA" examined, it would reveal that we hold within us the very seeds of godhood.

There has never been a time in my life that I doubted the existence of God. Even in times of struggle and pain. That knowledge did not come from my upbringing, as we were not a family that prayed, went to church, or owned a Bible. So, where did my belief come from? It came from within, truly. I am happy to possess a knowledge of the existence of God.... It is a gift for which I am utterly and eternally grateful.

No comments: