Thursday, January 28, 2010

Day 171, Therapeutic Thursday

Greetings from the Long Beach Marriott ;) Never let Donna drive or use hand held electronic devices...particularly if she is giving you directions. You'd be better to stick your wet finger out the window and decide which way the wind is blowing, and go the opposite way. Trust me, you'd get there quicker. But alas, we finally arrived ...thanks to the belabored and reluctant of our friendly neighborhood Long Beach Police Department. This is one of those "don't ask, don't tell" things. snicker snicker.

Planet "M" -- Today I was the principal again....look out GMS! Actually, I enjoy having the opportunity to sit down and really talk to kids who have gotten in trouble. Not that I have some morbid, cruel since of humor (okay...maybe I do, but not about this,) I really feel like I have an opportunity to discipline....to actually discuss options for appropriate behavior when things aren't going their way. I know... it sounds hokey and cliche'..... but I feel a different type of connection to the students I see in my role as administrator than I do in my role as teacher.

And now!!!! It is time for a big HIGH 5 :) I went to spin class tonight and actually made it through the entire workout without feeling like my eyes would bulge out of their sockets, or my heart would stop beating, or my legs would crumble beneath me. Yah yah... I'm still slower than anyone in the room....and my form sucks... but I made it through and walked like a normal person out of the class. THEN,,, I continued my workout with a set of upper body strength training. Yeah me ;) See? I'm not that pathetic after all.

RAK??? Um,,,,, scratch that last sentence about being pathetic. I think the nicest thing I did today was make sure I emptied our assistant principal's "in basket" full of referrals. I don't think that counts because...let's face it... there is obviously something in that for me. Duh. BUT,,, I did tear up one student's referral because I thought it was absolutely ridiculous. I mean really,,, come on people.... try talking to the kid before you write the referral. You'd be surprised. Anyway, as usual, my RAKs fall into the "Needs Remediation" category....Oh well. Tomorrow is another day. I'll try to do better. ... What really sucks is that now everytime I think of doing an RAK, I realize that the underlying motive is so I can report on my blog that I did one..... so there you go..... it doesn't count. I have to admit though....on those rare (very rare) occasions when I actually DO perform an RAK with no strings attached, I feel so good on the inside. So, in a sense, I end up getting something out of it. I won't discount those.....far and few between as they are.....because the initial motive was pure. Someday, I hope that performing RAKs will be so routine for me that I forget about them. That's when I will truly be able to make the claim that I AM a nice person....The irony is, I will have forgotten  the RAKs, so I won't know I'm being nice, naturally.

Okay, I just re-read that last paragraph novel,,,, and it made my head hurt. Too bad. I'm too tired to fix it.
Dang it... that wasn't a very nice thing to say, was it? I'm such an RAK loser!

I'll conclude tonight with a message to my honey.... Three nights with me away from home....Don't get used to it! And don't think I don't have eyes hidden everywhere you go..... I'm watching you..... I'm ALWAYS watching you....It's like I'm right there.....watching you ;)

I'll miss you tonight. Love you ;)

No comments: