Friday, November 12, 2010

Day 413, Choose The Right!

Today Ron and I explored Zion National Park. Neither of us are currently at our peak as far as conditioning goes, so the plan was to take one of the "Easy" trails and just enjoy the breathtaking scenery. We decided to explore the Emerald Pools first.... a short, one-and-half hour (round-trip) stroll to the lower pools. Sign said, "Lower pools --- to the left." We went to the left. An hour-and-half later, after climbing what seemed to be a never-ending spiral rock staircase, we found ourselves nearing the Grotto. I have no idea what the Grotto is.... but I know that when we were choosing trails, the Grotto sign said "Strenuous!" Hence the trembling legs, racing heartbeat, and lack of oxygen.

When we finally found our way around the upper, middle, and lower pools....and through the falls (which were very cool, I might add,) ---  THREE hours later --- I donned on us that we had somehow been tricked (nothing gets by a Morgan!) We were full-on hiking. Note to self---2-year old flimsy tennis shoes do not make good hiking shoes. I wondered why everyone we met on the trail had backpacks, hiking boots, and serious walking sticks with them. A bit dramatic for an easy stroll, don't ya think? Seriously, at one point, I thought my legs were going to fold beneath me. The only time I have ever had that feeling before, was when I was in labor (and on New Year's Eve, 1999---but that's another story).

When we finally made it back to the trailhead---we hiked the full circle by the way---we decided to check that deceitful little sign that pointed us to the left. Behold! The arrows pointed in BOTH directions---left and right.

Moral of the story? Always Choose the Right!

No comments: