Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Day 418: The Gifts of Christmas Present


Count down to Christmas.... That is always the rule once Christmas vacation begins. To a non-professional, it may look like a frantic, stressful rush of wrapping, spending, baking, decorating, parties, deliveries, cyber-shopping... more wrapping, spending, and baking. Outsiders may find themselves wondering where is the joy in such chaos?

But this is what I live for....11 months out of the year.... for one month of the Christmas crazies.

My husband calls me "The Elf."



This year the theme was family.... Lots and lots of family. And what better way to celebrate than the gift of children? Old, young, I say the more the merrier.... It all adds to the chaos. I mean really, how do you put a price on a belly laugh like this one?

This is Kieran checking out the pooch with moving ears and singing to the tune of "I Feel Good!" Kieran is a bit perplexed, wouldn't you say?


Here's the reason for the belly laugh! Jane. She always keeps me laughing!


What would Christmas be without stockings?
This year we did something new with our stockings. Instead of having Santa fill them, we drew names to take over stocking duty.... Only there were rules. Rules. Something new, something used, something handmade, something edibile, round, square, practical, and a certain color. At first, this seem to stress some people out.... But in the end, I guarantee you we will remember not only the stocking we received, but the stocking we filled. This is a tradition I would like to repeat next year... with a few minor modifications.



By Christmas Eve, the preparations were done.... and what wasn't done, no longer mattered. This is the night we open our Christmas pajamas and take our obligatory picture in front of the flaming fire. It means that Christmas morning is one step closer! This is a tradition my parents started when my children were babies.... and hopefully, my kids will choose to keep it alive.

Next year.... Everyone is getting the most outrageously ridiculous Christmas pajamas we can find! And yes! They WILL wear them !!


Is it even possible that I neglected to mention food? Prime rib, superbly roasted on Christmas Eve... followed by the traditional ham/turkey dinner on Christmas day! Oh. And don't forget the pies. 4 pumpkin, 2 cherry, 2 apple. And still it wasn't enough. Add to that chocolate and about 8 batches of Aunt Ruth's famous fudge.

I sense my cholestral rising. Was that a heart palpitation I just felt?



My favorite moment? (Is there really only one?) Watching my family open their stockings. Seeing what it was that they gave to each other and made for each other. I found a certain joy in this that is unsurpassed by any memories of Christmases past.

Tied for first....
Family! The Morgans, Logans, and Hodges. It doesn't get any better than this in my Christmas fantasy.


I cried when I put the tree up.
I will cry when I take it down.

And then next year.... I will do it all again.
Merry Christmas everyone.
And to all a good night.

No comments: