Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Day 439, Somebody You Didn't Want to Let Go, but Just Drifted

When I make friends, It is always my expectation that the friendship will last forever. I never look at a true frienship as a temporary alliance. Over the years, there have been many people who were close to me, but later drifted. It is generally a result of them moving away.

Julie Clark. Tamela Mailing. Kimberly Dolan. Theresa Nielson. Tammy Hallberg. These are ladies who played a significant role in my life. They are ladies I still love, even though I haven't seen or spoken to some of them in over 20 years. They are women that I once felt as close to as any sisters could feel. I cried when they moved away; I did not want to let them go.

Then there is "Sue," (I will call her that to keep from using her real name). Sue is someone I used to work with. Thanks to a series of unfortunate events and misunderstandings, I have recently had to face the fact that she no longer considers me her friend. This week, I made a conscious decision to let her go. It is not easy for me; I don't make friends easily, and I don't like the feeling that I somehow let her down. Well, I wish her the very best, and who knows, maybe someday she will want to be friends again.

No comments: