Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Day 58, 22 years ago...

22 years ago.... in a galaxy far, far away.... a beautiful, perfect little baby girl was born. I will never forget the feeling of complete awe that swept through me as I held her for the first time. I remember the excitement I experienced when my parents saw her for the first time. My own (then) 25 years melted away in a flash, and for a split second I saw what must have been in my parent's eyes when they saw me for the first time. That fleeting moment was priceless, and something I shall treasure forever. Raechel is everything a mother could hope for a daughter to be; she is beautiful, healthy, intelligent, funny, and tenderhearted. She has been my daughter, friend, confidant, helper, and on occasion, advisor. It is my privilege to be her mom. My prayer for her is that she will be happy and fulfilled in her life. Always.

Also celebrating a birthday today, is my soon-to-be daughter-in-law, Jen, who only five days ago, brought beautiful Jane Ellen into the world. Jen now knows the feeling I had 22 years ago tonight when I held Raechel in my arms for the first time. Our prayers are still with Jen and Ryan--that very soon they will bring their little girl home for good.

"Real birthdays are not annual affairs. Real birthdays are the days when we have a new birth." ~ Ralph Parlette


What will the "new birth" be in your life this year?

1 comment:

The Rejection Queen said...

My "new birth" which is coming up next month, will probably be facing that reality that I am not suppose to be a writer and meant to sit behind a desk working for someone else the rest of my life.