Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Day 71, To Sign, or Not to sign?

It's time to make my decision. Do I continue to send out query letters and mail my manuscript to publishers in hopes of landing a true book deal,,, or do I sign with the small publisher who has agreed to publish my book? It's a limited release publisher---only 950 copies at first print. Sigh. I've been mulling this over for five months now, during which time I had hoped to find an agent to represent me. Patience has never been one of my strengths. The worst thing that could happen is that after I sign the contract, I receive an offer for representation from a legit agency and miss out on the opportunity to work with a large publisher. On the other hand, I have to start somewhere. Is it better to just go for it??? Get my book in print and see if I can generate a local following that builds into something more? If that were to happen, then my odds increase that an agent would pick up the sequel.
I so hoped for a whirlwind success story.... ahhhhhh. Why not?
No whining. Man up girl! So, all of you who read my blog (all 1,000 of you----yuh huh!) tell me what I should do. If I sign the contract, I'm mailing it on Halloween. So vote! C'mon, you can do it,,,, POST YOUR COMMENT... and tell me what you think I should do. I'll be waiting for you.

1 comment:

The Rejection Queen said...

Go with the small publisher. You can still continue to look for agents like I am doing. As long as you're not self-publising..I would totally go for it. You'll have to tell me all about it on um....next Saturday? Good coding btw lol