Monday, November 2, 2009

Day 84, Sidelines

"Life is not a spectator sport,,," I think I quoted that recently. But tonight's football game just about blew that quote out the window. The Saints/Falcons game was definitely a Monday night spectator's dream. Those football players made plays that defied all laws of physics; it was awesome to watch. And the Phillies have kept the World Series alive for another day. I don't particularly care about this year's Series, but my 85-year-old mother almost had a stroke watching the game tonight. It was a night for raising blood pressure for sure.

RAK? I tried to work on that today. At school I helped set up a lab for another science teacher--with nothing in it for me this time. I have searched my soul, and I believe this one actually qualifies as an RAK. Then, I bought some yummy cheese for my hubby, and a salad for his lunch tomorrow,,, and some orange latte because I know how much he loves that flavor. I thought I was being nice, but when I looked deeply at my motives, I realized that even in those acts, there was something in it for me. Pathetic! I did, however, try to take charge of dinner tonight so he could have a break from having to think about it, but he ended up jumping in and helping... dang it. :) That's the kind of guy he is.
While I was visiting my parents this afternoon, I cleaned my mom's sliding glass windows. Now that truly should have qualified as an RAK, but then I thought about it, and had to admit that even that act of service had a hidden motive behind it....I feel guilty for not visiting them and helping out more often. They moved closer to me so I could be there for them, and I have kept myself too busy to be there for them as often as i should. So, in reality, cleaning their windows was an attempt to atone for my neglect. Double pathetic! Will I ever develop the gift of performing sincere RAKs? That quest alone should keep me humble for a very long time.

Planet "M"---The kids did a brain dump today. They enjoyed it, and I loved observing the process. It's fun to have an arsenol of strategies at my fingertips....It only took me 12 years to develop a cool bag of tricks for engaging students. I love being a teacher. Truly. It's the hardest work I have ever loved!

Looks like the surgery is a go for Jane Ellen. Please continue to pray for her and her awesome parents. That little girl is a fighter!

No comments: