Thursday, December 24, 2009

Day 136, O Holy Night

As promised, my list of "O Holy Night" do's and don'ts. ... or rather, should's and should not's. Those who should be banned from performing "O Holy Night":--- Mariah Carey, Gloria Estephan, Marie Osmond (sorry... I love most songs that she does, but did not care for her version of this song,) Barbara Streisand (I know, this one shocked me too...she has such an amazing voice...but she murdered the song,) Faith Hill, and NSync, to name a few. Best versions out there? Gaither Vocal Band does a beautiful harmony arrangement that is not overdone, Celine Dion does a great job, but gets a little animated in my opinion, Josh Grobin does a splendid job. Mormon Tabernacle Choir is angelic in their arrangement. Finally, Andy Williams is probably my #1 choice for a solo arrangement---nothing tricky or distracting---he lets the melody speak for itself. If you have a suggestion for a singer or group that should be banned from performing this amazing piece of music, please send it to me and I will judge it. Likewise, send your choice for the number one performer, and I will give it a listen...and decide if it is worthy to make my "Permission to Perform" list.

Now for my favorite Christmas songs: White Christmas, Silver Bells, Blue Christmas, I'll Be Home for Christmas, Away in a Manger, Silent Night (MTC version), Still, Still, Still (Afterglow,) What Child is This, O Holy Night, The First Noel (MTC version), Jingle Bell Rock (Chet Atkins), For Unto Us a Child is Born (MTC version,) Do You Hear What I Hear?, and Little Drummer Boy (Bing and Bowie.) I realize I already posted a list a few days ago.... I doubt it has changed since then. Guess it all depends on my mood at the moment. Most amazing female voice on the planet? Sissel. Hands down. After her is Sarah Brightman, Julie Andrews, and Barabara Streisand. Most amazing male voice of all time? That's a tough one....Jury is out on that. Bing Crosby is definitely in the running for top honors. Others at or near the top? Andre Bocceli, Frank Sinatra, Micael Buble', Andy Williams, and of course, Luciano Pavarotti,,, there will never be another voice like his. Wait a minute... RON MORGAN is my favorite male vocalist of all time---let's make sure that is duly noted! Wink wink ;)

Had fun with Ryan and Jen and baby Jane tonight. We all got our Christmas pajamas, so we are officially ready for Santa's visit. I love Christmas Eve. We always have a formal dinner at our house with just our immediate family and we use our best china and place settings. The table is beautiful. I will post a picture as soon as Raechel puts them on my computer. Tomorrow it's Christmas dinner at my parent's house...and opening presents. There will be a few people at that party. It's tradition, what can I say?

The Rejection Queen will join us tomorrow, yeah :) She finished reading my manuscript and gave me an A+ on it. Let's hope a publisher agrees. Better yet, an agent!

Guess what? With all the hype over Christmas, I neglected to mention a huge milestone in my daughter's life. Raechel finished college! She has now earned her Bachelor's Degree from Brigham Young University. I am so proud of her! It was not easy for her, but she stayed with it and worked through her challenges...and now she has graduated! Go Raechel! The world is hers now... Go get them daughter! You can do anything you set your heart on. (Yes, English major, I know I hung a preposition there. Sorry. Author's perrogative.)

To all my readers, and to those kind enough to sign on as a follower---I wish you all the most glorious of Christmases...and a healthy, happy, and properous New Year. May your fondest dreams come true in the year that's ahead of you.... May you win in 2010.... May you enjoy the best and conquer the rest.... Yeah, I've got a million of these (hyperbole---English major again.)

Almost time for Santa to arrive so I'll shut it down for the night. Merry Christmas everyone....and "God bless us....everyone."                                                                     

No comments: