Friday, December 25, 2009

Day 137, Oh there's no place like home for the holidays...

Another Christmas has come and gone...  our family tradition in tact... no blood spilled... nobody's feelings hurt... and everyone pleased with their gifts. The M&M mugs were a smash...and provoked precisely the reaction hoped for. Mom and Dad genuinely seem to love the painting we got them, and the kids were pleased with their Christmas loot. The turkey was tender and juicy, the ham tasty, the dressing undercooked, the potatoes creamy and the gravy free of lumps (after a little elbow grease and a wire whisk.) The Rejection Queen felt anything BUT rejected... indeed, she was welcomed with open arms and hearts and put to work just like the rest of the family.

So now, I shall remove my elf cap and retire it to the closet for the next eleven months. In a few days, I will put away all the decorations, and prepare to face the incoming year with a clean house, a clean slate, and a newly-refined list of resolutions.

Did I mention the pie? Pumpkin pie, apple pie, cherry pie, pecan pie.... my stomach lurches at the mere mention of them. As customary, I ate too much.

Best part of my day? Hearing my son's voice for the first time in 7 months. His was the voice of an angel... and the highlight of Christmas. This year, I was able to speak to Andrew for about 2 1/2 hours. That was great. Next year, he'll be home for the holidays.... and that will be awesome.

Merry Christmas everyone.

No comments: