Monday, November 8, 2010

Day 410, And Who IS Counting?

Today's blog is about trust. BUT FIRST, a word from our sponsor....

Just say the word, "FLEA" and I will begin to itch all over my body. I know it's all in my head because I can look at the spot that feels like there is a flea on it, and see nothing. I watch....as nothing crawls along my skin, and I feel it when nothing bites me. I am certain that nothing is there because I feel my little nothing bugs everywhere...... Under my shirt, on my scalp, between my toes, even behind my elbow. And I'm telling you... these little invisible nothing bugs bite!!! When did I first notice I had a nothing bug infestation? When Ellen showed me a flea on our dog. Since then, the nothing bugs have moved into our house. Even Ron is doing the "I'm being bit by something...but nothing is there!!" dance.

Okay, back to our regularly scheduled program.


It's all about trust. T-R-U-S-T..... Hmmm. I've been thinking about this word for a few weeks now, ever since somebody handed me a book on the subject. Naturally, I have been asking myself why this somebody felt the need to loan me their book. After all, I consider myself a trustworthy person. I trust people, and I assume (there's that no-no word), that people trust me as well. But what is trust? What makes a person trustworthy? And what exactly is it that we are trusting people to do, say, be? To always tell the truth? Really? Always? Even when your hair looks like crapola and your homemade soup is less than stellar? Okay before I begin my rants on trust... let's get some of the rules straight on telling the truth....

There are times when you do not need to tell the truth. I'm sorry if that offends some people, but really, sometimes it is better to keep your mouth SHUT! You don't need to tell me that I look like I'm gaining weight. You don't need to tell me that I'm at the perfect age for a mini facelift (translation, in case you are wondering---"You are looking old!") And you do not need to point out that one of my eyes is bigger than the other---it's obvious everytime I look at a picture of myself. Now... Do I want to know when there is something green on my teeth? Yes. And I trust people to tell me, doggone it. So why did I find a piece of lettuce stuck on my tooth yesterday? Do I want to know when my breath smells? Uhm, Yeah! Duh! Offer me a piece of gum, a mint, a sprig of parsley... anything... but don't leave me hanging...unaware of the green fumes hovering around my mouth. Do I want to know if my hair looks horrible? No. Not really. I pretty much corner the market on that one. Don't need it rubbed in my face. Do I want to know if something I said hurt somebody's feelings? HecAbsolutely!! Please!!! Please tell me that I was an idiot, a fool, a horrible person, an insensitive poop, a heartless cow, a class A beyo-itch.... but for the love of Pete,,,, DO NOT tell everyone else in the world and then act like nothing is wrong to my face. I can take it, truly. And I promise to apologize, and mean it. Trust me ;)

So,,, lesson one in my trust blog---No. You do not have to ALWAYS tell the truth in order to be trustworthy. You just have to be trusted to know when it's okay (and recommended) that you keep your thoughts to yourself.

As I read my "borrowed" book on trust, I will share some pearls of wisdom with you. You know you want them. I trust that you will spread the word. Please... feel free to share your own opinion on the subject.

No comments: