Sunday, September 6, 2009

Day 28, 337 to go

Four weeks down, 48 weeks to go. Heard an interesting quote today, "Large gates work on small hinges." I love all the layers of meaning laced in those words. It is true that sometimes the smallest, most seemingly inconsequencial acts can have the greatest impact on those around us. We perhaps will never see the power in our small acts. It might begin by taking a step toward your neighbor and saying hello. Or maybe it begins when you take a meal to a family in need. Better yet, how about all the daily acts of a mother tending to the needs of her children.

"I believe that man will not merely endure; he will prevail. He is immortal, not because he alone among the creatures has an inexhaustible voice, but because he has a soul, a spirit capable of kindness and compassion." William Faulkner 1897

Before I sign off for the night, I must ask myself--and you--did we perform any act of kindness today? RAK--random acts of kindness--I will make it a point to watch for these, and I will do my best to perform at least one RAK each day in the coming week. Consciously. Care to join me? I'd love to hear about your RAKs... or those of others from which you may have benefitted. Feel free to pass them along in a comment.

Totally off topic: I watched Pride & Prejudice with my daughter--again. Can't count how many times we've shared Jane Austen and coke together. It's one of the finer things in life, in my opinion.

Who could ever tire of Mr. Darcy?

No comments: