Monday, September 7, 2009

Day 29, 336 to go

Visited Ryan and Jen today... my stepson and his girlfriend. They will become parents in about three weeks, which makes me a grandma again :) Little Jane Ellen will have no lack of love and attention in her life. There is nothing like preparing for the arrival of your firstborn child. 18 years ago, I was awaiting the birth of my 3rd child (son, Taylor,) and 22 years ago, I was an impatient and nervous mommy-to-be as I waited for my firstborn, Raechel, to arrive. As long as I live, I will never forget the moments that each of my four babies were laid across my chest for the first time. The emotion attached to those memories cannot possibly be captured by pen and paper, at least not by me, and not ever in their entirety. It was far too sacred, even godlike in the sense that I had been a partner in the creation of a living soul.

Jen is about to have this experience for herself; though I would not trade places with her, I envy her.

"I begin to love this creature, and to anticipate her birth as a fresh twist to a knot, which I do not wish to untie." Mary Wollstonecraft

"A woman has two smiles that an angel might envy, the smile that accepts a lover before words are uttered, and the smile that lights on the first born babe, and assures it of a mother's love."
Thomas C. Haliburton

In closing, what RAK did you perform today? Mine was to package goodies for my son. Sadly, I have to admit that is the only kind thing I did for someone else. Hmm. I better work on that.

No comments: