Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Day 30, 335 to go

Planet "M"-- Recently I was asked to shape my mission statement as an educator... and to put my vision for my "dream" school into writing. So, here it is:

I am a teacher. My mission? Teach kids.

My personal vision statement: (Name of my dream school---where I, of course, am the prinicipal,) will be a place where teachers are committed to establishing and implementing the best practices possible, and where those best practices are continually revised in order to ensure success--measured by students' academic growth, social development, and their desire to become a self-learners.

Now, on a totally unrelated note...

Time is our enemy. When we are young, time seems to pass at a snail's pace. We wait and wait and wait to start school, to finish school, to get our driver's license, to be old enough to date, to wear grown up shoes and make up. Then, like a thief, time suddenly robs us of our life. We get old, and then time darts past us like a run-away train, over which we have NO control. Our children have grown and moved away from home... and then suddenly there is not enough time....not enough time to complete all that we hope to accomplish. Our wrinkles are solid evidence that we were indeed present while time came and went. If I could turn back time, or even buy back a moment or two, I know exactly where I would go and what I would do. And it would not be to work. :)

I would spend more time with my babies.

"Time is free, but it's priceless. You can't own it, but you can use it. You can't keep it, but you can spend it. Once you've lost it you can never get it back." Harvey MacKay

No comments: