Monday, September 21, 2009

Day 43, 322 to go

When people hear that I work with middle school students, they get this odd expression on their face, like they should bow down to me...or check my pulse--or maybe give me an Alka Selzer. Truth be known, middle school can be a whole lot of fun with just a tiny amount of effort. Kids this age are a blast. Today my students made around 200 "M"s during advisement. Yep, we set down our silent reading books and had some fun. Shame on us! After school, a group of kids came to my classroom, and together we invaded another classroom---a secret invasion, no less. Stealth was the operative word, although there's not much stealth in 11-13 year olds :-) We snuck into another teacher's classroom and plastered our 200 "M"s all over the place with a note letting them know that they had been invaded by Planet "M". The kids had a blast, and I am 110% certain that the recipients will enjoy the fun just as much as the perpetrators. And I get paid for this? Nope... duh, we did it after school, remember? One of my students asked me, "Why are we doing this?" To which I replied, "Because it's fun." Then he flashed a very wide grin and said, "You rock!"

And that, my friend, is called "throwing some fish" at work. If you don't know what that means, then you obviously have never visited the Fish Factory in Seattle.

"People rarely succeed unless they have fun in what they are doing." ~ Dale Carnegie

It was a good day for Planet "M".

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you are so funny and a great writer! I vote for your blog to be published! Did you see Julie and Julia yet?