Sunday, February 7, 2010

Day 180, 185 to Go!

Look at that.... in two more days I'll be half-way through my blog goal..... and so far, everyone is surviving. I haven't exactly arrived at my dream of having thousands of followers----okay, I never made it out of the starting gate on that one----but rest assured, one day when I am a well-known author with a gy-normous fan base (hey, it's my dream...keep your nose out of it,) then someone will find this sad little blog of mine, and BAM! A year in the life of best-selling author, Melinda Morgan. Who could resist such a title? Okay, okay....I'll work on sprucing up the 2nd half of the year.

So here is my state of the union---- I have not lost 20 pounds, I have not had my book published (although I am one step closer to reaching that goal,) I have not paid off my debts, and I suck at RAKs. Hmmm. But hey, let us focus on the positive, shall we? First, I have not given up on my book publishing; in fact, I continue to polish my manuscript, and I am quite pleased with the way it is shaping up. Second, I may be horrible at thinking of others and doing random acts of kindness, but at least I am thinking about thinking about them.....I am trying to learn how to be a nicer person. That's something. Third, I have not lost one serious pound, but I am doing the spin class and going back to the gym two days a week. It's not much, but it's a start. As for the debt thing....yikes. Money is sore subject right now with all the talks of furlough days in our district. I fear we are in for a couple of dark and difficult years. I make mistakes, I spend $$ that I should be saving, and I tend to do some impulsive buying----I know, who knew? Me? BUT, I am trying to do better....It just seems that each time I take a leap forward, I end up with 3 giant steps backwards.

Here are some more positives: First, I absolutely LOVE my students this year, and I am having a blast teaching. I am working diligently to improve my program and to honor the 5E model of lesson development. The K12 model has done so much to enhance my classroom instruction and planning. I feel far more effective this year. Second, I have become more confident in acting as the AP at our site. Regardless of the fact that I may never be offered a position at Gardner, I know that I am better prepared for a position now than I was a year ago. I sense a turning point took place somewhere along the line...emotionally and professionally. Third, I have made new friends this year....rather, I have built deeper friendships with
Donna and Kelly, both of which have enriched my life on a personal level. I like that. Then there is Roxanne. She considers me a good friend, and that makes me feel like I've done something right along the way. And don't forget the Rejection Queen. By reaching outward into unchartered territories, I have be-friended another author. My connection with her has added a new spoke to my wheel of life....or to this "cycle of a crazy lady." Sixth---there is Ron. My "Hub." I don't mean husband, although he is that too... I mean the hub in the center of my life that holds all the spokes into place. The guy who doesn't stop me when I venture out (sometimes aimlessly,) but who makes sure I stay grounded in the process. He is sometimes my un-sung hero.

Finally.... since I am reflecting on the past 6 months.... I have taken more risks this past year than at anytime in my life. That tells me that somewhere along the way, I have overcome some of my insecurities. It's about time. Somewhere along the way, I gained some confidence that I have something unique to offer the world....and like an unchained hawk, I feel as though I am soaring for the first time in my life. There is so much to do, so many ways to grow, and so much to explore. Whoa!!! Now hold on there a minute girl.... we all know that when the day ends and evening falls....I long to be back in the nest....sitting in my chair....in my little corner of the world with Ron nearby.

This would not be complete without a word about my children. Raechel completed her BA degree and walks in April. She now has an amazing job....and is headed for greatness! Andrew serves faithfully, bringing the people of Peru the gospel of Jesus Christ. Taylor graduated from HS and is finding his way ... re-connecting with his father, and learning that there is more to life than candy bars and video games. Ellen is off and running, quite successfully, through  her first year of HS. She is a bright ray of sunlight in our days.

So, while I may not be hammering away effectively towards all my goals that I set at the onset of this blog-a-day journey, I have not given up, and I have not sat idly by, letting life slip through my fingers. I am pressing forward....and keeping the faith alive. I choose to believe that in the 2nd half of this blog endeavor, some very wonderful things are going to take place....and lucky you..... You shall ride the tide with me.

No comments: