Monday, August 16, 2010

Day 367, Sort of, but not really

"Sort of, but not really" seems to be the phrase of the week for me. I have been asked numerous times by the staff at my old school if I am enjoying my new position. Sort of, but not really. I understand that the majority of the problem lies within me....with no one to blame by myself. Instead of feeling liberated, respected, necessary, capable, appreciated, and autonomous, I instead feel that I am unimportant, unqualified, incompetent, and easily expendable. It's not that I perceive myself as these things, on the contrary, I went into the position feeling confident, capable, and believing I would play an intricate role in making a difference this year. No. It's how others, (one or two in particular who are in administrative positions,) have made me feel since day one on the new job. I feel undermined at every turn, and like the rug is being pulled from beneath me.

So, it's a difficult position I find myself in this Monday morning. Am I excited to go to work today? Sort of, but not really.

I know it is up to me to figure out how to turn a position spin on all this. I will play their political game, I will kiss the appropriate bottoms, and I will be a team player. I will swallow my pride and ego (they will see to that,) and I will bite my tongue (hopefully I won't end up exploding, or worse, imploding!!) and I will seek to gain as much experience and education as I can to make this a growing and worthwhile experience. But right now, I do not feel like I belong there.

Am I sure I did the right thing? I was. I have to hold on to that original answer. The situation has changed, but that would be nothing new to God, so I have to have faith that there is a reason I'm here. Can I see the benefit of this detour from my original path?

Sort of, but not really.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ok here's the thing, I really don't like not being able to rely on you to have posted every night anymore. I've been in the routine of reading your blog every morning at work and now there is nothing new to read! What am I going to do??????